TechTrends Special Issue in July 2014 on “Online and Hybrid Doctoral Programs in Educational Technology” edited by Dr. Dawson and Dr. Kumar. Articles from colleagues around the nation and in Finland about various aspects of program design, implementation, lessons learned and impact:
- Michael Kung and TJ Logan provide a useful table as an review of current online and hybrid doctoral programs in educational technology.
- Greg Jones and colleagues describe the process of creating a distributed PhD from a residential program at the University of North Texas.
- Ross Perkins and Patrick Lowenthal provide an overview of the admissions process they have and currently use at Boise State University.
- The challenges of student advising and support and how they were addressed at Indiana University are highlighted by Marisa Exter and colleagues.
- Graduates of the University of Florida’s online doctoral program reflect on their experiences.
- The sustainability of online doctoral programs is discussed by Jarkko Suhonen and Erkki Sutinen based on their experiences in Finland.